Embedded Vision System Design Services
Want computer vision in your product? Wonder how to add vision capabilities?
Engage the experts at BDTI.
Advances in technology are making science fiction a reality—today. With the incredible power and low cost of new processors, programmable logic, and digital video cameras, it is now possible to add computer vision to nearly any product—scientific, medical, industrial, and consumer. Whether it’s a toy that can “see” and recognize objects, a video camera that can count the number and type of people in a scene, or an industrial system that visually inspects products for defects, computer vision can enable unheard-of new functionality in your product, letting you tackle new markets and seize new opportunities.
But like most new technologies, computer vision demands a special skill set. At the heart of computer vision is signal processing: signal processing is used at the pixel level to extract objects from pixels, and signal processing is used at the object level to track, evaluate, and “understand” the behavior of objects. For the specialized experience and expertise needed for computer vision, you can rely on BDTI.
Got a question? Ask the experts.
Where we can help
Processor selection for computer vision applications
Make an optimal processor-selection decision, quickly, by teaming with BDTI. You bring detailed knowledge of your requirements and constraints. BDTI brings:
- Broad knowledge of current processing platform options—to quickly identify viable candidates
- Hands-on experience with dozens of processors—chips, cores, programmable logic, and others—to provide insight into their true strengths and weaknesses
- Understanding of vendor strategies—to anticipate which processors are likely to remain viable for the long-term
Algorithm design for computer vision
Get the right algorithm for your application. BDTI will:
- Draw on its knowledge of digital signal processing and computer vision fundamentals to design and implement an algorithm that meets your requirements
- Ensure the algorithm can be efficiently implemented on your processor
Software implementation and optimization for computer vision applications
Software engineering is BDTI’s core competency. BDTI leverages expertise in architectures and algorithms developed through decades of work with digital signal processing applications. And, whenever possible, BDTI performs optimization at multiple levels, including:
- Designing a software architecture and data flow to take maximum advantage of processor resources
- Selecting appropriate data types to avoid wasting precious resources
- Modifying, substituting, or combining algorithms
- Mapping the chosen algorithms into processor instructions cleanly and efficiently, using the most appropriate languages and tools capabilities.
Where do you need help? Let us know.
Our team and track record
BDTI’s team of engineers has years of experience building complex, reliable, and low-cost signal processing systems, including computer vision applications. We will work with you to understand your application, identify your requirements, select the best technology—hardware and software—and then design and build your system. We can work closely with your existing engineering team, handling only the computer vision portion of the design, or we can execute a complete turn-key project, delivering a complete, finished system. We can use existing IP or develop custom algorithms for your application.
Our track record includes:
- Prototyping of computer-vision-based pedestrian detection and road sign recognition algorithms for automotive applications. Built for a major semiconductor company using a hybrid ARM/FPGA processing platform. (In the image at right, the software identifies a pedestrian in the “danger zone” and marks him with a red box. A pedestrian outside the “danger zone” is indicated by a green box.)
- Algorithms for a vision-based feedback control system used in a medical application. This work shaved weeks off the company’s development time and enabled the company to improve the throughput of its equipment.
- A complete demo system for a new processor targeting industrial machine vision applications. (In the image at right, the software uses highly optimized edge detection algorithms to count the dots on dice far faster than a human could.)
- Highly efficient image processing algorithms that applied sophisticated visual effects to digital photographs, using an ultra-low-cost embedded processor. This sophisticated functionality enabled the customer to build a toy smart camera.
BDTI can design a computer vision-enabled product or add vision capabilities to your products faster and with less risk than you may have thought possible. And that translates to faster time to market and increased revenue! Contact us today to discuss how computer vision can enhance your products.
For a confidential consultation, call us at +1 925 954 1411 or contact us via the web.